PaperPort At A Glance
Nuance’s PaperPort 14 is available in three different versions: Standard, Professional, and Enterprise.
PaperPort Standard 14 costs $100 and is suitable for individual and home offices. By using their scanners or multifunction products (MFPs), users can covert their paper forms into searchable PDFs. It includes features, such as print to image PDF, document thumbnails, stacking/unstacking PDF documents, and folder management. Users can also save documents in the cloud via Nuance’s Cloud Connector utility – files can be accessed via any PC, tablets, or other mobile devices. Such cloud services include Microsoft Live SkyDrive, Google Drive, and Box, to name a few.
PaperPort Professional 14 ($200) is aimed at smaller offices or offices with a few users (although companies need to purchase one unit per desktop). It has all the features of the PaperPort 14, but includes these ones:
- Support for shared network folders
- Ability to add folder notes to any PDF
- Ability to access recently scanned/recently view documents quickly
- Ability to create text PDF files from any application
- PDF password/encryption
- Support for PDF 1.7 and PDF/A formats
- Microsoft SharePoint connector
PaperPort Enterprise 14 is similar to the PaperPort Professional 14 except that Enterprise can support an entire department or organization by way of network installation.
We also want to mention the PaperPort Notes application for iPads. PaperPort Notes is a free download that lets users take notes by handwritten/typed text, images, voice, and web content. It also works with Nuance’s Dragon Dictate to enable users to take notes via speech dictation.
This section refers to the features in PaperPort Professional 14. In addition to the features mentioned in the Product Details above, the Professional 14 includes:
- Ability to capture images via mobile device and upload to the cloud
- FormTyper functionality that allows users to convert paper forms into electronic ones – they can save as a PDF and send via email
- Security features such as document encryption while in transit, intrusion detection, privacy certification
- Send files to OmniPage Workflow
- Ability to split desktop and workspace bookmarks
- Ability to store files/folders on the network
- Unlimited scanning profiles (the Standard version accepts up to five profiles)
- Scheduled all-in-one indexing
- Document thumbnails in over 150 formats
- Document Storage?
- Simultaneous User Collaboration?
- Workflow Management?
- Version Control?
- On-Premise Hosting Option?
Nuance targets many different industries, such as government, finance, telecommunications, and retail. It also places a large focus on the healthcare industry, as it offers targeted healthcare solutions. We’ve listed ten of its customers below:
- B. H. Crane Company, Inc.
- Chip Supply, Inc.
- Dann Insurance
- eSolutions Consulting Group
- GOF & Associates, LLC
- Law Offices of Ian Herzog
- Lexington Imaging Solutions
- Principle Lending Group
- Quantum Business Group, Inc.
- Verity Wealth Management
Download Now: Document Management Software Buyer's GuideChoosing an Document Management Solution is all about finding the right fit. Our report will walk you through the process and help you make a smart purchasing decision. Download Now
There is a 15-day free trial period for the PaperPort Professional 14. The PaperPort Standard 14 and PaperPort Professional 14 versions are available for purchase on Nuance’s website (users have the option of either the digital or physical download). There is a training video for $20. Companies that want to purchase multiple licenses of the PaperPort Professional 14 can do so via the Nuance Open License Program.
For the PaperPort Enterprise 14, users are encouraged to contact Nuance’s sales line.
Customer Service & Support
Users can get support via phone, email, or online. There is a customer support portal where users can participate in forums, search a knowledge base, or submit a support request.
Even though there is a Cloud Connector option, PaperPort is only available as an on-premised (desktop) solution. The Cloud Connector supports Mac machines, but the desktop product is not Mac-compatible.
It also does not include collaboration features common to DMS such as version control or check-in/check-out functionality.
Users have reported that customer service is an issue . Problems were not resolved in a timely manner and required multiple attempts to reach customer support.
Nuance is in the business of “improving human lives.” In addition to document management, Nuance markets products aimed at voice/language technology and virtual assistants. Its other products include Dragon, Power PDF, PowerScribe 360, Nina, and Equitrac. Nuance’s speech solutions are available in 80 languages.
Headquartered in Burlington, MA, Nuance has roughly 14,000 employees and offices in 35 countries. Among those employees is a team of 1,200 that oversees the implementation process of all of Nuance’s products.
Download Comparison Guide