FileCenter At A Glance
Lucion Technologies sells two paperless office solutions. For the purpose of this review, we will focus on FileCenter.
FileCenter is a Document Management Solution intended for SMBs that want an efficient file management system without impacting their office productivity. It includes file management features, such as an electronic filing cabinet with a Cabinet/Drawer/Folder layout design, as well as scanning, OCR, and PDF features.
FileCenter is deployed on-premise and installed on a desktop. Minimum system requirements include Windows XP or newer operating system, a TWAIN-compliant scanner or ScanSnap, at least 750MHz of CPU, and 500MB of memory. FileCenter is also Cloud compliant – users can scan files to the cloud and access them through cloud providers, such as Dropbox, Google Drive, SugarSync, and Microsoft SkyDrive.
FileCenter comes in two editions: Standard ($99.95) and Pro ($224.95). Please refer to the Features section below for a comparison between the two.
The Standard edition includes file management, scanning, OCR, and PDF features, such as:
- Cloud compatibility – users can access files via tablets and smartphones
- Ability to share files on a network server
- Desktop scanning (with any TWAIN-compliant scanner) or ScanSnap scanning
- Sending files by email
- Setting up file naming rules, reusing common file names
- Set up reusable file layouts
- Open, view, annotate, and adding comments and notes to PDFs
- Fill out and digitally sign PDF forms
- Adding text to PDFs
- Password-protect PDFs
- Scanning files to PDFs and to file cabinets
- Blank page removal
- English-only OCR engine
- Availability of a network recycling bin so users can recover deleted files
The Pro edition includes all of the features of the Standard edition – plus these features:
- Ability to preview hundreds of file types
- Ability to rename files as they’re moved
- Advanced search engine for non-Windows servers
- Document thumbnails
- Ability to work with Microsoft Outlook
- Ability to insert pages and combine/stack PDF files
- Advanced PDF features i.e. converting batch files to PDFs, PDF print driver for creating files, creating PDFs from any applications, and converting old TIFF files to PDFs.
- Ability to scan files to Word and email
- Automatic scanning features i.e. document separation, document routing, document bookmarking, and page rotation
- Advanced OCR engine that supports multiple languages
- Administrative features, such as managing settings over the network and removing access to specific features
- A one-year support/upgrade plan included with purchase
- Document Storage?
- Simultaneous User Collaboration?
- Workflow Management?
- Version Control?
- On-Premise Hosting Option?
FileCenter is aimed towards SMBs with an emphasis on smaller organizations. It is available for a variety of industries, such as healthcare and legal. We’ve listed ten of its customers below:
- Ameriprise Financial
- British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)
- Coldwell Banker,
- H&R Block
- State Farm Insurance
- Texas A&M University
- United States Marine Corps
- Wells Fargo
Download Now: Document Management Software Buyer's GuideChoosing an Document Management Solution is all about finding the right fit. Our report will walk you through the process and help you make a smart purchasing decision. Download Now
There is a 15-day free trial. After the free trial period, companies can purchase FileCenter straight from Lucion’s website. Please refer to our Product Details for prices – note that prices are per computer. Multiple licenses of FileCenter can be purchased at a discount.
FileCenter is also available at other online retailers, such as Amazon, or through a value-added reseller program.
Customer Service & Support
Lucion has a dedicated support page that includes a knowledge base, video library, and downloads. Users can contact tech support by creating a ticket request. Note that tech support is email-based during the hours of 9AM to 5PM (Mountain time) daily.
FileCenter is not Mac-compatible. It also has limited collaborative features, such as no workflow or version control functionality.
Lucion Technologies’ sole mission is to help smaller organizations work in a “paperless” office so they can find their files in an efficient and productive manner. In addition to FileCenter, Lucion also produces FileConvert (software that helps turn large amounts of documents into searchable PDF files) and CrashPlan (a secure file backup solution).
Lucion provides a 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee on their solutions. Users who purchase the software from Lucion’s website are entitled to a refund within a month of purchase. Lucion’s Return Policy has more details.
Download Comparison Guide