FileHold Systems, Inc.
British Columbia, Canada
FileHold At A Glance
FileHold is a document and records management software that takes a document through its entire lifecycle. Users can scan documents into the system, store them, search for them by keywords or metadata, or even make edits within them.
In short, it’s a paperless office software.
FileHold is marketed as an affordable, enterprise-level software with full features to be used by all offices.
FileHold has many benefits for users, including:
- a centralized electronic file cabinet
- the ability to find documents faster
- the ability to track/audit documents
- the ability to share information and collaborate with others, and
- reduced/eliminated paper use.
FileHold software is sold in two versions: Express and Enterprise.
FileHold Express is for smaller businesses or larger companies with small departments; it allows up to 20 users maximum. It includes Microsoft Office integration, mobile functionality, web access, document scanning and six months of free support.
FileHold Enterprise is intended for larger companies (more than 20 users) and uses the Microsoft Technologies Service Oriented Architecture and .NET framework. Users have the choice of having the software deployed on the server or in the cloud.
There’s also a Mobile FileHold that’s based on HTML 5 and is accessible on iPhone (with Safari browser) and Android (with Chrome browser). With this mobile capability, users can add, view and search for documents; perform version control; start workflow processes; and submit workflows for approvals.
FileHold works much like a filing cabinet with drawers and folders – only it’s in electronic form. It includes the following standard features (some are indicated in boxes below):
- Searching ability via a Google-like toolbar
- Records management (archiving and disposition policies)
- Integration with Microsoft Office
- Integration with third-party solutions via Web Services API
- Electronic forms
- Ability to tag/capture metadata/documents
- Virtual folders
- Ability to link/organize documents
- OCR (optical character recognition) and indexing
- Ability to send documents via email or secure URL
- Document control numbering and naming standards
- User-based permissions for access: There are 11 user roles from “Read Only” to “System Administrator.” Administrators can assign specific permissions to specific users.
- Ability to access/work on documents offline
- Built-in reports to give administrators data about document usage and users
- Compliance with the U.S. Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS-140), and
- Watched Folders: This feature automatically transfers files imported from a scanner or multifunction product (MFP) into the FileHold system.
FileHold offers these optional modules:
- Document workflow
- Integration with Microsoft Active Directory
- Integration with Microsoft SharePoint
- FastFind Search feature that allows users to search for a document with one key stroke (“hot keys”)
- Electronic signatures
- Print to FileHold (convert documents to a PDF and send them to the document library via virtual printing)
- Redaction of texts/blanking out confidential information
- AutoCAD/Document Viewers
- Customized naming and numbering sequence of documents
- Guest accounts/self-service document portals
- Ability to add multiple document repositories
- WebCap (for users that work remotely and want to scan and store documents into FileHold), and
- Web Viewer.
FileHold also includes document scanning and imaging functionality. It integrates with different scanners, MFPs and scanning software, such as EMC QuickScan Pro, Kodak Capture Pro and Kofax Capture.
FileHold can also have customized features based on a specific company’s needs.
FileHold plans to add a new feature for its product release later this year. This feature, to be branded as “Courier,” will allow access for users that don’t have a FileHold license (such as external clients).
An authorized FileHold user can create a transmission to an email address where the transmission prompts the recipient to view, or view and approve, one or more documents. FileHold will track all the activities of the specific recipient (audit trail) who was sent documents for viewing or approval.
Users will have a special pay-as-you-go license where it doesn’t matter if you send 1,000 documents to one email address or one document to 1,000 email addresses or anything in between. Customers would purchase one-time use packs, with declining per use prices as the size of the pack increases.
- Document Storage?
- Simultaneous User Collaboration?
- Workflow Management?
- Version Control?
- On-Premise Hosting Option?
FileHold is used in a variety of industries, including oil and gas, HR, health care, education, engineering and finance. We’ve listed 10 of its customers below:
- Asheville Oil Company
- Conservation Services Group
- Defense Information Systems
- Department of Justice
- Laredo Energy
- Mentor Graphics
- National Institutes of Health
- Qualis Health
- Sierra Wireless
Download Now: Document Management Software Buyer's GuideChoosing an Document Management Solution is all about finding the right fit. Our report will walk you through the process and help you make a smart purchasing decision. Download Now
Unlike traditional document management software, installation is done in hours rather than days or weeks.
FileHold provides a guarantee for its basic system of software implementation being done correctly in less than two hours or the implementation service is free. Note that FileHold handles implementation and support over the Internet.
FileHold has three implementation packages:
- Bronze Level – This package is intended for companies that want their IT staff to handle most of the implementation. It includes areas such as customer server preparation, software installation, training on IT and Library administration, another training session on best practices in document management, and an overview on document imaging and scanning. FileHold estimates this installation process takes eight hours.
- Silver Level – Estimated to take 16 hours, this package is for companies that want guidance on server preparation and analysis, and additional training. The package includes: server analysis, server preparation, training on IT and Library administration, another training session on best practices in document management, an additional training on reviewing library and configuration settings, and an overview on document imaging and scanning. There are also three sessions on advanced scanning/imaging set-up and support, such as creating bar code separator sheets and auto filing processes.
- Gold Level – This package includes all of the components of the Silver package, except that Gold adds an additional eight-hour end-user training session. FileHold estimates the total time for the Gold implementation is 24 hours.
Customer Service & Support
FileHold offers a support package called FileCare that provides technical support and software upgrades. The support package is available for both the Express and Enterprise versions. FileCare also includes support such as:
- consulting in Document Management Best Practices
- server administration, including security issues
- server check-up
- data archiving
- disaster recovery
- custom reports
- data integration, and
- help with third-party software and hardware compatibility issues.
General technical support includes email, phone and online via a support portal. FileCare is optional, but note that companies that don’t have FileCare will have to pay $250 per hour for a two-hour minimum for tech support request.
There is also a Knowledge Base where users can get answers and information on the software, such as product guides.
As FileHold conducts sales, marketing, implementation and support over the Internet, the company doesn’t travel to the customer’s site for training or other business – some users have felt it’s a limitation.
Some users have found it limiting that FileHold only uses Microsoft SQL database and other Microsoft clients instead of another database or native client (e.g., Apple). However, they do support Apple and other devices via its web interface.
FileHold Systems, Inc. is a privately-owned company that sells document management and records management software. Its mission is to provide software that’s affordable and easy to implement, and customer service that is dedicated to long-term product support. Its employees have background in document and records management, e-forms and enterprise software development.
FileHold has partnerships with the following companies: Microsoft, EMC-Captiva, Kodak Capture Pro Document Scanning Software, dtSearch and ARX CoSign.Download Comparison Guide