The Konica Minolta bizhub C654 ($32,828) and bizhub C754 ($38,467) features Konica Minolta’s INFO-Palette touch screen interface. This 9″ color touch screen has what Konica Minolta called a “touch and swipe” interface, much like you’d operate a mobile device, as well as customized icons for functions you use more frequently. An external keyboard is available as an option.
Both machines has standard copying, printing, and scanning (and optional faxing) and a 60ppm color speed. Black-and-white speed is 65ppm and 75ppm for the bizhub C654 and bizhub C754, respectively. The controller uses a 1.2GHz processor and comes with 2GB of memory and a 250GB hard disk drive. PostScript and PCL printing support are standard, along with XPS printing. Warm-up time is 22 seconds, which puts these machines among the fastest in the industry. First-page-out time in color is an impressive 5.3 seconds.
An optional Fiery IC-412 image controller includes Adobe PostScript, excellent workflow tools and color management tools. It adds features like color profiles, hot folders, and defined workflows that enhance productivity.
There is also the bizhub MarketPlace, a place for downloadable apps. It includes features as scanning files to Gmail, Google Docs, and SharePoint. Konica Minolta PageScope Mobile App allows for printing from and scanning to smartphones.
Konica Minolta has made a big impression in the professional color market with rugged production models. The bizhub C654 and bizhub C754 are aimed at various industries, especially large medical offices that need to scan paper copies in order to prepare for adoption of electronic medical records. They are also good for large workgroup and departments with high-speed copying and printing needs.
- Dual 500-sheet paper cassettes, a 1,000-sheet paper cassette, and a 1,500-sheet cassette — all standard.
- Standard 150-sheet bypass
- Optional 3,000-sheet stacker that handles letter-size paper only ($1,780)
- Optional 2,500-sheet unit that holds up to 12″ x 18″ paper
- 6,650-sheet maximum paper capacity
- Standard 150-sheet dual-scanning document feeder with duplex speed of 180ppm
- 250-sheet exit tray ($112)
- Optional 3,200-sheet finisher with 50-sheet multiposition stapling ($1,885); users can also add an optional booklet maker with saddlestitching ($1,450) that allows users to create booklets up to 80 pages, and a optional 2/3-hole punch ($586)
- Optional 3,100-sheet finisher with 100-sheet multiposition stapling ($3,020); users can also add an optional booklet maker with saddlestitching ($1,670) that allows users to create booklets up to 80 pages, and a optional 2/3-hole punch ($863)
- Two-tray (200 sheets in each tray) optional postprocess inserter ($1,113)
- Optional Z-folding unit ($5,509)
- Scanning features include scan-to-email, scan-to-FTP, scan-to-SMB, and scan-to-PowerPoint
- Scanning file formats include encrypted PDF and compact PDF; for PCs with Windows 7, there is also the Distributed Scan feature for sending scanned documents directly to a Scan Server
- LDAP supported
- Internet faxing standard
- Optional faxing ($1,070) includes 33.6kbps modem, JBIG compression, and supports PC faxing and IP address faxing.
- Optional card and biometric authentication devices
- Optional biometric recognition software that uses finger vein patterns
- Secure print
- HDD Lock
- Job erase
- Optional copy guard
- Automatic Document Feeder?
- Ethernet Connectivity?
- Wireless Connectivity?
- Mobile Printing/Scanning?
These devices were released in 2012; we recommend users look at Konica Minolta’s more recent bizhub C654e/bizhub C754e for upgraded features, such as image rotation and drag-and-drop functionality via the touchscreen interface.
Konica Minolta Business Solutions U.S.A. is a subsidiary of Konica Minolta, Inc., headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. The company focuses on complete business solutions including production print systems, digital presses, multifunctional products (MFPs), managed print services, vertical application solutions and related services and supplies. The U.S. headquarters is in Ramsey, New Jersey and includes a network of more than 125 direct sales offices in addition to over 350 authorized dealers, other resellers, and distribution partners.
Summary: Rugged high-speed MFPs with Konica Minolta’s touch screen interface.
- Ease of Use
- Ease of Implementation