Redwood City, CA
Evernote Business At A Glance
For the purposes of this review, we’ve highlighted features most relevant to businesses seeking a DMS solution.
Evernote Business helps professionals collaborate for growing ideas into projects.
The solution offers tools for transitioning the early stages of brainstorming into documents such as client presentations and research proposals. Evernote doubles as a social platform as well, providing a news feed of topics relevant to each user.
Users access Evernote for taking notes that transition into collaborative projects. Users may also upload a range of file types for editing, sharing, annotating, and searching through documents. For example, a user could:
- Upload a PDF file to annotate key points
- Take notes during a meeting or snap a picture of a white board
- Save snippets of articles to fuel research
Evernote’s Basic, Plus, and Premium packages target individual needs while the Business package is an upgrade from Premium for collaborating across individual accounts. Simply put: Evernote features focus on the individual, and Business maximizes collaboration. This package costs $12/user/month with a deal for clients with 25+ users and includes:
- Unlimited storage and uploads
- Account administration
- A team work space for collaboration
Typical DMS solutions approach the process of managing documents as a repository mixed with a way of collaborating on shared files. Evernote is unique to this space by approaching the process from a researcher’s perspective.
Evernote features include intuitive ways of gathering information and structuring that information to share. The following 5 features include terminology for the tools Evernote users access:
1. Notes and Notebooks – Create Notes that can be categorized into Notebooks. Copy, move many at a time, and tag Notes for setting up your own indexing process. Merge related Notes into one, or connect them together with Note Links. Create Stacks of Notebooks for ordering any amount of topics. Note capabilities include:
- Text formatting such as paragraph alignment, font, color, bold, italics, highlighting, ect.
- Spell check and word count
- Tables, check boxes, ordered and un-ordered lists
2. Sharing Notes – Share individual Notes simply by sending the URL, even if they don’t have an account, and give permission to other account-holding users to edit your Notes. Share entire Notebooks at a time either with the public or with teammates. Even send Notes through email. Related Notes automatically share relevant information alongside new Notes, so that when a team member has captured useful information, other team members easily have access to this information as they develop their ideas.
3. Web Clipper – Save useful information from the web to your Evernote account. Clip media so that you can view it later and share with others. Web Clipper allows users to save:
- Images, screenshots and full web pages
- Articles, blog posts, and bookmarks
4. Reminders – Schedule reminders on Notes so that either mobile alerts or a morning calendar notification tells you when it’s time to complete a Note-related task.
5. Security – Evernote allows users to encrypt and password protect Notes so that only you can read them. Users may also enable a two-step verification while signing in as an extra layer of security.
Evernote incorporates many extensions and add-ons for best managing project needs.
For the Business version, the following features apply to account administrators:
- Centralize company knowledge and recognize employee expertise by browsing Notebooks, viewing individual profiles, and tracking account activity.
- Access, alter, and manage any Business Notebooks made by users, while leaving Personal Notebooks completely private and separate from work.
- Connect Evernote to your company’s Active Directory or LDAP solution for automatically inviting users.
- Document Storage?
- Simultaneous User Collaboration?
- Workflow Management?
- Version Control?
- On-Premise Hosting Option?
Evernote is best suited for groups of research teams across industries. Whether users are in marketing, editorial, sales, or product development, Evernote enables teammates to share relevant information for projects. Here, we’ve listed 10 sample customers:
- Goodlife Team
- Building Equity Management
- Jimmy's Iced Coffee
- Ray-Lin Dairy
- Brazos Arts
- Rice Paper Scissors
- Victoria Station
- Glickman Kovago & Company
Download Now: Document Management Software Buyer's GuideChoosing an Document Management Solution is all about finding the right fit. Our report will walk you through the process and help you make a smart purchasing decision. Download Now
Evernote implementation is a simple account creation. The solution integrates with existing platforms as well such as your LDAP or Active Directory for inviting users to create their own accounts.
Customer Service & Support
Evernote Business customers are offered help via the Business Success Team through email, chat or scheduled phone support.
Evernote takes a different approach to document management by prioritizing the researcher’s role. As a result, many standard DMS features are offered as an integration instead of packaged with the product.
For example, OfficeSuite is an important app integration for Android users to edit Word, Excel and other Microsoft Office documents directly through Evernote. LiveMinutes is another app integration for real-time collaboration on notes.
Some users have complained that managing documents as attachments to notes can become confusing and creates duplicates without intending to.
As an independent and privately help company, Evernote was founded in 2007, and is headquartered in Redwood City, California. The people at Evernote describe their solution as: “the place you write free from distraction, collect information, find what you need, and present your ideas to the world.”Download Comparison Guide